What I Can Teach You About Forms

What to Do to Get W-2 from an Old Job

It is an individual’s responsibility to ensure that the file the tax returns within the required time. Getting a W-2 form is a crucial aspect in the process of filing tax returns with the IRS since it provides needed information concerning the income that an employee has made from employment within a year of work. W-2 forms are filled out by employers who also submit the same to the IRS as well as to the employee by 31 January every year. Employees use a W-2 form in filing their tax returns for the year. When one quits their job, it is still necessary that the employer gets them the W-2 form to be used in the filing of returns. It is thus necessary that one is familiar with how they can get a W-2 form from a previous employer so that they can comply with the legal requirements to submit the income tax returns by 15th April. This article will give you insights on how you can get a W-2 form from an earlier employer.

A person can wait until January 31st for their previous employer to send the W-2 form. One can also explore the option of asking the employer to submit the W-2 earlier, in which case the employer must provide it within 30 days of placing the request.

If the W-2 form doesn’t get to you by Valentine’s Day, it is necessary that you take some steps to get the W-2 from an old job. You need to take action because regardless of when you get the W-2, you have to submit your tax returns within the set timeframe. You can contact your former HR representative to get the W-2 form. If the company did not have an HR representative, you could contact the boss directly to ask them for the W-2. It is necessary for you to ensure that you provide them with the correct address.

It is possible for you to get your W-2 by contacting the payroll administrator. It may be needed for you to confirm the details of employment with the payroll administrator while also verifying your current address. Where the payroll administrator reports that the W-2 has already been mailed to you, you can ask for confirmation of the date, and you may also request for a replacement form.

One can also contact the IRS directly if the other techniques fail. It can be easier to get the needed assistance when you can get your former company’s employer identification number, your salary and wages information and relevant details about your employer. The IRS can contact the employer and request the missing form and can issue you with a form to fill out.

What Do You Know About Income

The Key Elements of Great Statements

Paul Taka

Paul Taka